Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texture2HeightMap: Terrain Generator using LDR and HDR textures  (Read 3781 times)
July 28, 2013, 04:42:24 pm
I introduce a new set of solutions addressing the topic "height maps". Two versions of Texture2HeightMap are made available: A Plug-in providing persistence and collision detection, and a HLSLobject for real-time height mapping. LDR and HDR (floating point) textures are supported. See my web pages for technical discussions, and an application showcase, under the heading Texture2HeightMap.

I published two demo videos to show the potential:  Audio generated landscapes and Video generated landscapes.

The solution can be purchased. Contact me via e-mail.

* LiveTerrain.jpg (77.31 KB, 472x281 - viewed 650 times.)
July 29, 2013, 06:00:11 am
It looks great. I have a few question.

1. Dose it support LOD greed for the terrain?
2. Did you test it with newton (LOD include)?
3. Do you have any plan for something like this? http://quest3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=62009.0 This is the ultimate solution for a terrain.
4. Dose Q3D 5 included?
5. could it be faster if do the extraction in vertex shader? Cause after all it's gpu based. It seems the biggest issue is always, collision detection.

ali-rahimi.net
July 30, 2013, 10:09:31 am
Thank you for asking, here is my quick response:

1. Dose it support LOD greed for the terrain?
I tried regular collision detection successfully (see screenshot).

2. Did you test it with newton (LOD include)?
No

3. Do you have any plan for something like this? http://quest3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=62009.0 This is the ultimate solution for a terrain.
I'm not sure I understand this question. My channel is partially a spin-off, but introduces some extensions (HDR, channel weights, compound object readiness). The main difference: Texture2HeightMap addresses Quest3D artists with a low time budget, who are willing to pay for a comfortable solution: It is well documented, hopefully robust and reliable, and comes with demos and a manual.

4. Dose Q3D 5 included?
Not yet, under investigation

5. could it be faster if do the extraction in vertex shader? Cause after all it's gpu based. It seems the biggest issue is always, collision detection.
That why I offer two solutions: For Collision detection, use the regular plug-in, for on-the-fly requirements use my HLSLobject version, see the corresponding video.

* CraterLake-CollisionSmall.jpg (72.55 KB, 472x281 - viewed 634 times.)
July 30, 2013, 02:12:22 pm
The Live Terrain Generator is available as a trial, look for [LiveTerrainGeneratorTrial.exe]. Spatial restrictions apply. Use object inspection camera techniques to navigate. You can load and play a video source of your choice. Make sure the video meets Quest3D restrictions (in particular, it needs audio).

This trial demonstrates the capabilities of the HLSLobject variant of  Texture2HeightMap. For a trial on the plug-in variant load SetTexturePixelHDRDemoTrail.exe.
July 31, 2013, 03:00:17 pm
Trials featuring the plug-in are now available:
   LandscapeHDRdemo (shows difference between LDR and HDR)
   LandscapeGeneratorDemo (Crater Lake Oregon, 3 source resolutions, 5 surface textures)
   LandscapeProbingDemo  (Crater Lake Oregon, collision detection)
   CompoundTerrainGeneratorDemo (combine single terrains)
   WeightedExtrusionDemo (user selected color weight for extrusion amount, > 4 Million Vertices)

All trials are subject to temporal and spatial restrictions, and expire after the end of October 2013. Access via my resource&Trials page [here].
July 31, 2013, 05:57:19 pm
Thanks.
#1. I was talk about LOD (level of detail) mesh. Geoclip map terrain needs a flat mesh with lod. I don't saw such things in your shots. You are using a unify mesh for the terrain.

#3. I think CustomGeometry channel is kinda different than your solution. It don't use any float texture (Directly from array) therefore it save lots of GPU memory. And it support vertex color and uv too (All on runtime). So terrain shader will be much less expensive. I am just seeking for a terrain solution like that.

ali-rahimi.net
August 06, 2013, 08:21:02 am
The plug-in Texture2Heightmap supports now monochrome textures of 8, 16, and 32 bit/pixel. This reduces texture storage requirements considerably. So you have a choice to spend from 8 to 128 bit/pixel. Please note, that 16 bit monochrome is already HDR, requiring less space than a RGB texture in LDR. 

The LandscapeHDRdemo trial is updated to incorporate monochrome. In addition, it allows you to test your own texture sources.

August 06, 2013, 12:55:54 pm
One main reason to use the plug-in version is the support for on the fly collision detection. A new utility plug-in CollisionObjectCommand controls the dynamic update of the CollisionObject channel.

The trial LandscapeProbingDemo has been updated. It allows you to import your own texture, generate a height map, and probe the elevation immediately. The CollisionObject is only updated after each generator call.

Needles to say, that this could be combined with a 3D texture painter writing to RTT.

* landsapeProbingS.jpg (49.76 KB, 472x279 - viewed 561 times.)
January 08, 2014, 09:52:41 am
Maintenance update. Additional support for false color height mapping. Trial dll and manual are offered now. Look at my web pages for the RESSOURCES & TRIALS pages. And don't miss the Application Showcase.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: