Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is Quest3d dead for good ?  (Read 11084 times)
July 30, 2012, 07:57:50 am
5.0 has been released a while ago. The words from developers are not making us happy looking forward into the future. I did not see even one demo done in qframework, not even a walkthrough demo. Maybe a missed something.

My friends are switching to Unity3D. The new 4.0 version will have a bunch of new features.

Are you still working in quest or should we forget and look for another solution, becouse this road is closed and will not be open.

But I gave 5 years to developing my framework and what now...

Frustrated

July 30, 2012, 09:54:24 am
But I gave 5 years to developing my framework and what now...
I updated mine to Q3d5 Cheesy
I have in mind to keep working with Q3d. It all depends on what are your goals and kind of software you want to build with it.
July 30, 2012, 12:52:48 pm
Even though I love the plethora of features Unity has to offer there is one thing I just can't warm to, and that is the general quality: http://unity3d.com/awards/2012.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but demos seem to lack deep depth and high definition.
Even the quality of the HDR demos I have seen are more A that AAA.

If I saw a demo with quality on par with something like Battlefield-3 then I would be sold, but I have yet to see that.

Maybe that kind of quality isn't possible, maybe it is and I just haven't seen anyone push Unity to that extent, I don't know,  I'll have to download U4 at some point and evaluate.

Although I wish Q3d had half the features Unity has - 'render quality' is my top priority.

At this point in time I can achieve higher quality with Q3d so will stay with it until that is no longer the case.
July 30, 2012, 01:17:12 pm
Even though I love the plethora of features Unity has to offer there is one thing I just can't warm to, and that is the general quality: http://unity3d.com/awards/2012

Those are all iOs, Android and/or web games. Not really a fair quality comparison. All elements in render quality come from the shaders and those have the same result in Quest3D and Unity. The main issue is the big difference in workflow.
July 30, 2012, 01:31:33 pm
Those are all iOs, Android and/or web games. Not really a fair quality comparison...

Ah ok, did not realise.

All elements in render quality come from the shaders and those have the same result in Quest3D and Unity.

I'll probably take another look at some point, cheers. I've had it installed for over a year but never really used it. The Q3d workflow may/may not be as easy as uScript in direct comparison but I am already used to it and it works well for me.

It's a difficult call but Q3d still does what I want/need for now.
We'll see how that feeling fairs in the future.
July 30, 2012, 06:22:27 pm
After Q3D5 release its getting more clear that Q3D at its best is only usefull for developers. Sure anyone could have fun with Q3D cause its all fun to play with these channels, but at the end of the day its for developing stuff. So i see myself between working with Q3D or going for an open source engine or c++ etc. I don't judge Q3D with Unity or any other game engine, cause its totally a wrong judgment. The only scary thing is a bad support from act3d.

ali-rahimi.net
July 31, 2012, 09:52:45 am
but still - did anyone do anything with success conected with qframework exept act and lumion Huh??
July 31, 2012, 10:06:42 am
Not me, I just stuck with my own framework.

There was probably an intention to introduce/document a new qF workflow and provide more qF examples (other than the existing set which basically introduce the Lumion-style effects and UI).

Unforfunately, as long as all hands are on the deck of the flagship, any Q3d5 updates may not happen for a while (if at all).
August 01, 2012, 01:57:59 am
I hope ACT3D more to learn Shiva3D team. Red face
See Shiva3D team support for the engine, crazy to start from scratch.
Here is the original words:

+ About the Editor:

So, for now months, if not years, a part of our team is working exclusively on the upcoming version of (y)our tool. ShiVa 1.X has been made years after years, and became hard to maintain and to make evolve. For ShiVa 2.0, we decided to rewrite everything from scratch, which was a big (crazy?) challenge. But we did it and most of the hard work is now behind us. But indeed, that also means all is not finished, and yes, we are late. We are late but we don't want to release something unfinished, and we are convinced it worth the wait. About an expected date, I don't have one, unfortunately. About what this new editor will bring, here is a short list:

- a cross platform editor, available for Windows, Mac and Linux
- a new UI design, with many usage and workflow improvements
- the possibility to create editor modules, using XML files and Lua 5.1 scripts
- a complete editor script API
- a command line version, making it possible to automate desired tasks on a headless server
- a generalized "multi target" asset management system, to simplify cross-platform development
- a full undo/redo support
- a Maya-like shelf
- fully customizable key bindings
- multicore support for heavy tasks
- micro updates
- particle engine enhancements
- HUD improvements and enhancements
January 02, 2013, 06:10:04 pm
I hope ACT3D more to learn Shiva3D team. Red face
See Shiva3D team support for the engine, crazy to start from scratch.
Here is the original words:

+ About the Editor:

So, for now months, if not years, a part of our team is working exclusively on the upcoming version of (y)our tool. ShiVa 1.X has been made years after years, and became hard to maintain and to make evolve. For ShiVa 2.0, we decided to rewrite everything from scratch, which was a big (crazy?) challenge. But we did it and most of the hard work is now behind us. But indeed, that also means all is not finished, and yes, we are late. We are late but we don't want to release something unfinished, and we are convinced it worth the wait. About an expected date, I don't have one, unfortunately. About what this new editor will bring, here is a short list:

- a cross platform editor, available for Windows, Mac and Linux
- a new UI design, with many usage and workflow improvements
- the possibility to create editor modules, using XML files and Lua 5.1 scripts
- a complete editor script API
- a command line version, making it possible to automate desired tasks on a headless server
- a generalized "multi target" asset management system, to simplify cross-platform development
- a full undo/redo support
- a Maya-like shelf
- fully customizable key bindings
- multicore support for heavy tasks
- micro updates
- particle engine enhancements
- HUD improvements and enhancements

Sorry to say this, but one of the reasons which Q3D ended up like this is because of the users like you who don't get the whole point of the Q3D. Q3D is not a game engine, it never was, it never will be. It's a shortcut between c++ and a node base or OO. It have it's own cons and pros. You can build Shiva 3D itself with Q3D (Despite the multi console part). If you want an editor you should build it your own same for the rendering, AI, etc.

ali-rahimi.net
September 19, 2013, 11:32:50 am
Any date for the Q3d6 with DX 11 update?  Grin
September 20, 2013, 07:22:11 am
Any date for the Q3d6 with DX 11 update?  Grin

I too like to dream  Grin
September 20, 2013, 09:41:00 am
I too like to dream  Grin
Who knows, as long as Act3d needs it for Lumion...
October 27, 2013, 03:19:50 pm
Quest3D 6 with DX11 support will be released when DirectX 13 hits the streets. It will come in a nice package with the acclaimed Act3D no-support-at-all and utter-silence-treatment arrangements! Cheesy
November 22, 2013, 12:37:28 pm
http://lumion3d.com/forum/general-discussion/wishes-for-future-lumion-versions/msg70357/#msg70357

Today at 10:54:22 am   
Quote from: Jacek Kwiatkowski on Today at 10:49:27 am

I asked for dx 11 - becouse I do not want to switch from quest3d to unity - if Lumion gets dx11 support - I think that the forgotten group of people that still use quest3d might get another chance to show some interesting v-r projects...

I still think that Lumion is a great product, but quest3d used to be the same...

Artur said :

The Quest3D project has been discontinued. There won't be any future versions, no matter if DX11 will be supported in Lumion or not.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: