Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: separable SSS approach  (Read 1263 times)
February 13, 2012, 10:06:19 am
WOW

http://www.iryoku.com/separable-sss-released
February 13, 2012, 10:22:31 am
It's quite similar to the NVIDIA technique but the benefit of this technique seems that you can calculate it in screen space.

There's one thing that bothers me though. Usually in games you never see the faces of people so close and even if you do you rarely see models detailed enough to appreciate SSS. From a distance it looks quite ordinary and there's little use for this technology.

Still a great job though. It looks really nice most of the time. The specular lighting  is still missing something. But it's miles ahead of what we usually see in games.
February 13, 2012, 10:51:23 am
Yes. Only practical for reltime in game cinematic.

ali-rahimi.net
February 13, 2012, 03:37:29 pm
If I'm not mistaken I already saw a screen space SSS approach before. I think it was in the latest GPU Pro book. Might be the same author of course.

Calculating the SSS in screen space instead of texture space does really make things easier when you have many people in your scene.
February 13, 2012, 03:44:54 pm
If I'm not mistaken I already saw a screen space SSS approach before. I think it was in the latest GPU Pro book. Might be the same author of course.

Calculating the SSS in screen space instead of texture space does really make things easier when you have many people in your scene.

Indeed, specially with deferred pipeline. But i think problem with full deferred and ssss is a limit number of buffers, unless going for dx10,11. I would not go for prepass method in dx9, cause it will drop performance alot.

ali-rahimi.net
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: