Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heightmap Channel  (Read 20113 times)
April 21, 2008, 06:21:48 pm
Example is 3.6.6 format.  At first blush, this seems like it should work, but the channel used in the channel graph is 3.6.6 format, also.  because of this, there probably needs to be a 4.0 version of the example, as well.

~Rhys
April 21, 2008, 09:10:58 pm
Hmm, the example is saved in 3.6.6 but I can run it in 4.0 too without problems. Are you sure you have the latest dll+example from the start post? I did update them this weekend, the old example won't work with the new channel and visa versa.

Marco, if the above doesn't work, could you try to run Dependency Walker and see what it has to say? You can find it at http://www.dependencywalker.com/

ps Rhys, I still haven't tried the mediatexture. Shame on me. I will, really!
April 21, 2008, 09:35:47 pm
ps Rhys, I still haven't tried the mediatexture. Shame on me. I will, really!

LOL!  No worries, I don't expect it to work.  Or, rather, I expect it will work but the performance will be too bad to realistically use.  However, perhaps you can put some hacks in for a mode specific to mediaTexture including optimizations.

I'm still thinking it will require too many operations to be feasible.

~Rhys
April 22, 2008, 10:33:39 am
i TRY TO LOAD DIFFERENT MAP IN Q4 BUT CRASH
April 22, 2008, 01:52:14 pm
Hey Lukas, did you save the example in 4.0 format? I can't open it, I see this message

"A channel (component) is used in this channel group that is not installed in your version. It could be created in a newer version of Quest3D or with a different set of components installed. Please contact the creator of the channel group and ask him about his Quest3D version."

You also need d3dx9_35.dll

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_35

April 22, 2008, 02:10:42 pm
Hmm, the directx dll hell is back. If someone has problems with directx dll's you should use the directx webupdater. Found here
April 22, 2008, 02:14:18 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using that version of the DX SDK, then the specific DLL for it should be placed in 3rd when publishing and the requirement for it added to the DoDependencyInit (or some such) method in the project.

~Rhys
April 23, 2008, 07:51:49 am
I believe we had this discussion earlier on the forum Wink

You can do two things: hard code the needed directx dll and copy it to the 3th folder or don't specify the needed dll and let the user update his directx redistr. (Quest3D or Windows will then search in the system32 folder)

I prefer the 2nd option.

i TRY TO LOAD DIFFERENT MAP IN Q4 BUT CRASH
Could you post/send me the map so I can test it?
April 23, 2008, 02:33:17 pm
Oh, that's right.  I remember being confused before when we discussed it.  It's simply a matter of getting the DLL for the installation you're using, then making sure it's in 3rd before publishing.  That's, like, one person doing work as opposed to many doing the same work who may not necessarily know the work is needed.

I mean, I'm all with keeping the choice of DLL open and the DLL versions accessible at a common location, and all, but the user's time is paramount, right?  If there were some compelling reason to keep the DLL separate, I'd be all for it, but in the absence of such a reason and all other things being equal, it seems best just to make it easier on the user.  That's my thought, anyways.

~Rhys
May 02, 2008, 07:47:45 pm
With that dll it works correctly, many thanks, this is one of those contributions that really make the difference (I'll soon do my little part for q3d community).

Just one question, you wrote about "the custom texture channel from Dylan Fitterer", which is the post about it?

*EDIT is this the post?   http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=62604.0
May 02, 2008, 09:02:35 pm
Just one question, you wrote about "the custom texture channel from Dylan Fitterer", which is the post about it?

*EDIT is this the post?   http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=62604.0

Sure.  Working source is attached to my last post.  Otherwise, as stated, it will publish but die on target systems.

~Rhys
May 03, 2008, 07:43:10 am
Hey hey, the topic lives again!

I tried custom texture with the heightmap channel and it was a bit of a funky result but it works. Its too bad you can't load a texture with the custom texture channel as a starting point for some sort of dynamic/animated terrain. I some a soon-to-be-released game the other day where you could actually change and use the terrain for your benefit.

Maybe I should update the custom texture so we can build such things? Wink
May 05, 2008, 12:20:19 pm
Thanks Lukas, HeightMap channel is working great in 4.0 !  Grin
May 05, 2008, 02:14:07 pm
It might be good to do a few things with custom texture.  The current behavior is to operate somewhat like a pixel shader, but it runs on the CPU instead of the GPU.  It might be better to incorporate the tx_1_1 shader, along with either an editor or simply compiling from a text file child to generate the texture directly from a pixel shader function.  I've been meaning to do this, but... limited time, you know.

~Rhys
August 19, 2008, 03:46:08 pm
Hi Lukas, Does the heightmap channel work with 4.1.2? It opens earlier scenes with geometry intact but the channel is gone. Can't seem to load it up.
thanks
John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: