Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PrintingInQuest  (Read 3764 times)
October 19, 2008, 04:57:12 am
Um, not to my reading of things. I had thought it allowed basically anyone to use in any manner, free or otherwise. 

from the Creative Commons site: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/
The GNU Lesser General Public License is a Free Software license. Like any Free Software license, it grants to you the four following freedoms:

The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
The freedom to study how the program works and adapt it to your needs.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
The freedom to improve the program and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

I had presumed that allowed us to basically give it away to anyone for any purpose, and the licence merely allows us to maintain an initial copyright for work done as well as protect from legal issues.  Perhaps it should be under a MIT licence, but haven't time to look at that. 

Can someone recommend?
October 20, 2008, 02:20:45 pm
My understanding of the licenses in general is a bit sketchy despite having spent numerous horus in the past reading them.  It seemed as though you were trying to release with as permissive a license as possible to enable commercial use, so that was why I was asking.

I've been keeping my eyes out for licenses that might be permissive to use in channel development as-is, and I think the Apache and MIT licenses most readily come to mind.

Hopefully there is someone else who knows much better what the most appropriate license would be for releasing to people so that they can use it in something they can sell and are allowed to customize it, if that is the intent.

~Rhys
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: