Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free channel: CustomGeometry  (Read 52911 times)
March 17, 2007, 05:17:59 pm
I love this channel. I'm having lots of fun with it.
Thanks alot Dylan!

Unfortunately I'm having problems publishing projects with this channel.
Is there a something special I have to do to get it to publish?
March 19, 2007, 08:53:29 pm
I've just run into the publishing problem with it too and will upload a fix soon.  Sorry about that.

[EDIT]
The fixed version is attached.  It needed the following dependency added since it uses a pointer to the direct3D channel:
AddChannelGuidDepend(DX8_DIRECT3D_CHANNEL_GUID, currentDependList);

I also added a dependency to d3dx9_30.dll since I've been compiling with that version of d3d9.  You should put a copy of that dll in 3rd before publishing.

* CustomGeometry.dll (23 KB - downloaded 477 times.)
March 19, 2007, 10:10:00 pm
Here's another channel that's handy along with CustomGeometry.  It forces a collision object to update its tree which you need to do if your collision object changed shape.  CustomGeometry is likely to do just that.

* CollisionObject_CreateTree.dll (7.5 KB - downloaded 465 times.)
March 19, 2007, 10:32:51 pm
thanks, i allready made a workaround using a channelswitch to force the update. But this will look cleaner Smiley
March 21, 2007, 11:30:29 pm
any chance of getting more UV-sets?  Grin
March 25, 2007, 01:29:27 pm
Awesome channel Dylan, it is such useful functionality it should be part of Quest3d!
March 25, 2007, 04:34:17 pm
I have a performance tip for people using this channel.

Make sure you set the 3D object to "check whole object for frustrum culling"
This will make sure the array tables aren't called if the object is out of view.
March 27, 2007, 11:21:05 am
Try to delete the channel.lst file in the q3d root folder.

Could be you are missing a 3th party dll, or wrong dx9 version, SDK use  newer dll then redistribute DirectX version.
I got the directX 9.0c and delete the lst file, but I didn't found the channel. under which name does it appear "CustomGeometry"?
March 27, 2007, 06:11:41 pm
I've uploaded the CustomGeometry source here:
http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=62376.0

I plan to keep it current with Quest3D releases, but didn't want anyone to avoid the channel for fear of me abandoning it.  This way it could be updated by anyone.
March 27, 2007, 06:13:05 pm
Axel_M:
Is it  possible that you're looking in the "Templates" window instead of the "Channel List" window?
March 27, 2007, 06:34:02 pm
thanks so much for the source Dylan.
BTW, I also had the channel not showing up untill I installed the DirectX SDK.

And another performance tip: I tried using envelopes instead of an array vector for the vertices thinking it would be faster... but it isn't. Probably because it has to convert the values into vectors at runtime...
March 27, 2007, 07:40:35 pm
Yeah, envelopes are slower than value channels or arrays.  It seems like envelopes should be faster if the nodes are Step instead of TCB, but I haven't tested that.
March 28, 2007, 08:06:10 am
Dylan, Yorick: I think I remember hearing something about (is that vague enough) the Envelope channel using a binary search for finding the requested point on the envelope.  That could explain why it is slower than a simple value or an array look up.
March 28, 2007, 08:20:43 am
Quote from: Remco
Using an envelope as a simple array turns out to be a very good solution for making a lookup table. For example when each row in an array has an ID (for example when you imported data from a database) you can simply make an envelope which gives you to row number when you hook up the ID to the envelope. The lookup that uses the envelope is very fast because it uses a binairy search for finding the right key for an input value. It's a good idea to be able to retreive the number of keys.

Thought i'd give it a shot... I'll do a test with array values aswell. I suspect the envelopes are quite fast but having to convert them to vectors at runtime is the slow part.
March 28, 2007, 09:51:28 am
Axel_M:
Is it  possible that you're looking in the "Templates" window instead of the "Channel List" window?
No, i looked into the channel list, there ist no "CustomGeometry"
I copyed the dll into the channel directory.
I find it odd, that your channel has no GUID name convention, like "C56118EA-2EA0-459C-BDE9-40B2F3304326.dll"
maybe that is the problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: